I wish I had seen a book on public failure or maybe it's public experimentation. Trying new things out publicly seems to be such a big part of what I do when I teach, I can't help wonder how other writing teachers deal with this, what others have written about it. There may be a new project here.
Monday, March 2, 2009
3/2 (2) (ANOTHER PROJECT)
This project I've been getting more and more interested in, lately, the public nature of teaching--the way that you are doing something where you are trying something out for the first time, in front of an audience of people. It could be something as small as an in-class activity or as big as a new class. Here's a quote from Barbara Gleason from a piece I found online that captures what I'm getting at:
When we walk into a writing class for the first time, most of us, whether we're new or experienced teachers, feel at least some apprehension. Why? In part because teaching involves performance: both our successes and failures will be largely public.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.