- My dissertation project.
- Teaching professional/technical communication.
These experiences seem to inform each author’s flexible constructs of writing expressed through an accessible vocabulary and a broadly conceived context, allowing their insights to obtain across a variety of settings. “Writing” is not a synonym for first-year writing or composition; for each author, the starting point for academic writing is engagement with other texts, and the approach to writing is informed more by rhetorical moves and genre conventions than by specific tasks or assignment types. Thus, according to the authors, writing is not best characterized as a process, though process theory is relevant to each author’s emphasis on feedback and revision, nor is it a compilation of static skills (develop a thesis, support it, form an argument, address counter-claims, etc.). Writing is instead a dynamic operation, a social act that does something within a community of writers and readers, and a material practice embedded in a complex web of relationships among readers, writers, other texts, and sets of experience. (emphasis added, W36)
Interestingly, [Harris'] theory of writing as performative coincides with Clark’s focus on rhetorical moves, detailed above. This more than coincidental convergence around writerly moves, together with insights from genre theory that posit genres as “typified rhetorical actions based in recurrent situations” (Miller 159), suggests an emerging trend in how we talk about writing, one that develops an intriguing and flexible vocabulary for describing the cognitive and intellectual work of writing within differing communities. (emphasis added, W41)
Again, a focus on terminology, the notion of writing as a vehicle for accomplishing something
Harris’s terminology is indeed one of the major strengths of the book, for, as noted above, it emphasizes the actions involved in critical writing. Rather than relying on terms that communicate static fixtures to students—thesis, evidence, example—Harris focuses us on the work accomplished by writing, treating writing as in motion, an approach that I find invigorating as a writing teacher. (emphasis added, W41)
As I write this, I think about my teaching this semester and the extent to which the pedagogy embodied in the approach of the textbook flies in the face of my own emergent or evolving orientation as outlined in this post. I believe that my intention was good--to think about the community as U.S. citizens. But, in a way, this was, perhaps, too broad and to general. A better approach would have been with students and the communities they already participate in. And so, I begin to see, the extent to which my own teaching--the practice, is out of line with my orientation--part of the problem. I think that what came through this semester is the importance of genres. The problem, of course, is that the genres are arbitrary and acontextual. A course more in line with this orientation would acknowledge that the genres come with the community, are embedded in the community, do particular work within the community. Investigating Writing Communities. This would be the focus of a more theoretically informed FYC course, in line with my evolving beliefs. It might be divided into two parts:
- Investigating a community of your own choosing.
- Investigating an academic community (your major or some other major)--pair with Joseph Harris' book?
I'll stop here. One final thought: a pedagogy or a theory is a system. It permits certain activities and ways of thinking and discourages others. I feel this sense of conflict--the way that talking about writing one way requires a certain kind of teaching that crowds out talking about writing in a different way. The interesting and important realization is that I am now talking about writing in a different way--different from the way I talked about it when I entered graduate school and different from the way Marjorie talks about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.