Thursday, May 28, 2009

More To Do With Tony

To Do:
  1. Find the hard copy of his entitlement generation essay and look to see if there is a grade.
  2. Get specific MLA specs on Anis Bawarshi's essay on "incomes." 
  3. Need to add the Domain3 issue to my works cited.
  4. In Interview 4 (p. 6), Tony reveals that he got the idea for the Orientation and maybe the competency manual from reading Doman3. Should this be a part of my article?
This morning, making real progress on the CE article on Tony Vaccaro. It is turning out to be a considerably different and better article from the previous draft. Things that are changing: I am working with the actual terms of Barbara's assignment now, which is important. I'm also tying in the idea of the role of read-genres in one's genre repertoire. This was a bit of a breakthrough this morning. There are a number of things that I am doing differently--too many to record all of them. But, there are two things that are on my mind that i just want to get down here:
  1. Ongoing questions about the relevance of the second part of the article. But then, I haven't even begun to revise it yet, so I should withhold judgment until I get into it. In any event, if I decide to bag the first section, I think I have a great article to submit to TETYC and possibly even CE or some other journal. I'm close to twenty pages with just the bit on antecedent genres. 
  2. Big picture. One of the things I have realized I struggle with a bit is tying pieces together. I get so into writing a particular section of the piece, I forget to tie in what I am doing to the larger picture of the essay itself. For example, today, I've been so focused on antecedent genres that I've almost entirely lost site of my introduction and the notion of moving between spheres, that I set up with Brandt. When I was into the section on mapping out Tony's essay, I began to forget about the point about antecedent genres. It's that old thing of coming back to the major themes, reminding the reader of what you are trying to say or do. It's very hard to do this when you are in the trenches, trying to construct meaning coherenetly. But, asking questions about the global coherence of the piece is important and something I think I can do better. 
That's it for today. I can see myself wrapping up this section of the article in one more writing section, and then I move on to the next section, which will, undoubtedly, take a few more days. Still, this is progress and I feel as though the piece has been strengthened a good deal already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.