Thursday, October 8, 2009

Getting the Word Out?

Fell asleep last night thinking about why it seems that 40+ years of research has changed so few minds about what writing is and how we learn it. This ties into an earlier idea I had, after talking to Brooke one day, feeling like her idea of who an English professor is is not who I am. Then, stumbled upon this quote today. The passage appears in Graf/Birkenstein's _They Say/I Say_. They are quoting the Connors/Lunsford study of error in student writing. In this passage, Connors/Lunsford are quoting Peter Elbow:
And certainly our noting of errors on student papers gives no one any great joy; as Peter Elbow says, English is most often associated either with grammar or with high literature--"two things designed to make folks feel most out of it." (p. 117 in Graf/Birkenstein)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.