Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Murray Sum-Up

Here is a list of my observations about Murray thus far:
  1. I'm interested in his sources of evidence, the evidence he uses to support his claims about how writing works. They are, thus far: famous published writers and his own writing process (which he often shares in the articles themselves--for example, see "The Explorers of Inner Space"--does he do this in all of his articles? Kind of go "meta" where he talks about what he is writing as he writes it?).
  2. I'm interested in the way in which his writing is masculinized.
  3. The way Murray establishes his own authority but also works against authority figures or authority, generally. He is anti-authority, but also an authority (on how writing works).
This sentence really captures my purpose so far:

It strikes me that what I'm trying to understand is the way Murray persuades, in all its subtleties.

Perhaps I should add:

It strikes me that what I'm trying to understand is the way Murray persuades (me), in all its subtleties.
  1. Student-centered pedagogy (when/why did this term appear? when can we say we really began to apply it?). It seems to me that Murray was WAY ahead of the game on this and that he should be given credit for this.
  2. Sharon Crowley in Composition in the University traces what I think she calls liberal humanism at Iowa. There a streak of this liberal humanism in Murray. But I'm going to need to revisit Crowley to make the connection. But, I note a passage like this:
He may also have a shelf of texts or books by famous authors, such as Orwell or E. B. White, in the bookstore which may prescribe individually when the need arises. ("Perhaps the Professor Should Cut Class" (173)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.