Murray Contemporaries (1974)
Hapgood, Williams, Carnicelli, Weesner, Smith, Miller,
Logan, Goffe, Richardson, Yount, Nicoloff, Dawson, Crow, Karl Diller,
Cindy Gannett diss committee: Don, Don, Tom, Karl Diller,
Grant Cioffe
Other people to talk to: Alice Fogel, Dan Reagan, Donna
Qualley, Elizabeth Chiseri-Strater
Publications:
Broadside—appears to be a publication of the English
Department written by majors or students. Gives an interesting glimpse into the
goings-on of the English Department 1972/73.
Between Us—same period, but aimed at English faculty
Boxes Done:
English Department
General File Departmental Archives
A-G
Applicants-Grants
(completed 7/1)
English Department
General File Departmental Archives
H-Pol
Hall Directors-Policy Research
English Department
General File Departmental Archives
Pos-W
Postcard Memo-WSBE
Syllabi
Summer 94 and earlier
Final Grade Rosters
Fall 03-Spring 2000
Confidential
Green Note on top: 1/2006 Items from “Archives” drawer
(did not start)
---
Notes from a day at the UNH archive…what do I have to say?
It was a strange day to wade through these five or so boxes,
most of which were totally unorganized, unarchived, uncatalogued. It felt very
raw…like you never knew what was going to be in the next folder. Someone had
apparently attempted to organize the folders by alphabetical letter, but this
didn’t work, really. My sense, now as I look back, is that whoever was
archiving the stuff was a clerical person who could not really understand what
was in the boxes. At one point I found a folder of tenure-review materials,
very confidential stuff about who should be promoted to what on what grounds.
Later I found annual reviews. And sprinkled throughout the boxes was Murray,
like little shards of data or splinters in a body of some sort. I kept trying
to explain to the women there that I really did need to just sit and go through
the boxes, that only someone who was and is engaged in telling the story could
know what might be useful or meaningful.
So what was useful or meaningful? Two very interesting
items:
1.
Two Murray syllabi.
2.
Murray’s annual evaluation from, I think, his
final year at UNH.
What else? I’d have to and will have to go back over
everything I collected. One thing that was interesting was two newsletters from
roughly the period 1972-1975 or so—one aimed at a faculty audience, from what I
could gather, and one aimed at a student/faculty audience. During this time,
their editors/writers put a good deal of time and energy into these
newsletters—one of them even came out weekly. I got a sense, while reading them
or skimming of them, of a vibrant place—writers visiting, discussions,
lectures, etc. There was also a sense of a common project/purpose and what
seemed like a surprising level of sophistification on the part of the students,
who seemed to be aware of faculty issues and topics of discussion (i.e.
promotion—which is something we pretty much never discuss with our students).
There was an attempt, near the end of Murray’s career, to
get some kind of summer MA or graduate certificate in writing or teaching
writing off the ground. I grabbed some correspondence of Murray talking about
this with a dean. There is clear engagement on his part with scholars in the
field.
There is an interesting series of documents from the early
1970s where it seems that UNH and Plymouth may have been collaborating on
publishing something around the teaching of English. One thought I had about
these materials is the feeling that Murray was, perhaps, a member of a
department, at that time, that was really innovative and creative in thinking
about the teaching of English to undergraduates. I don’t know whether this
reflects a trend of that historical moment or is a reflection of the creativity
and innovation of the department at UNH itself. It struck me as interesting.
I photocopied a series of syllabi from the mid to
late-1980s. I have this quote from Gary Lindberg in my head about the UNH
writing program reflecting Don’s work and it’s a nice set up quote. I wanted to
see, for one thing, how his work figured into their teaching and I was
surprised to see that many 401 faculty were using Don’s textbook or books to
teach writing—two in particular, I think Writing to Learn and maybe Reading to
Write. It surprised me how often Don’s textbook was on syllabi. I was also and
am also interested in thinking of those syllabi as a form of evidence for the
extent to which Don helped shape the culture of writing at UNH…This is
something I’ll have to look at more carefully. There are moments when
instructors are quoting him on their syllabi. Clearly, his shadow was long,
even or perhaps especially at the end.
I got interested in this idea of a culture of writing at UNH
and thought a good deal about the people who were involved in creating the culture
besides Don (Les, Gary Lindberg, Tom N, Tom C. and others more obscure) and
also in Don’s role in creating this culture. One of the stories that I would
like to try to tell or understand better is the process by which Don went from
hired-journalism instructor to guru. I look for instances where Don reached out
to his colleagues or gave workshops/talks within English on teaching. I feel
myself wanting to map that evolution from WRITER to WRITING TEACHER/GURU and to
understand how, exactly, it happened. And also, to think about it through the
lens of the institution—how the department welcomed and made a place for the
kind of innovative, student-centered thinking that Don was advocating for.
It was also interesting to see the mundane details of memos that
discussed, for example, how Becky Rule had been overlooked for an
instructorship or other promotional materials when Don was giving his input on
a faculty member’s progress towards tenure. I saw him, in these files, perhaps
for the first time, as a member of a particular department and well-established
by the early 1970s as a “senior” person who was involved in important
departmental business.
It was a good day. I made MANY photocopies of documents that
I think will be useful in some way or other. I am beginning to think of
widening my list of interviewees or people I can or should talk to—other English
faculty at the time, perhaps grad students or instructors from the early 1970s.
Dan Reagan is one person I might speak to.
There is also this feeling of the value of writing at UNH—of
it being a culture that is amenable to discussions of the teaching of the craft
of writing. You have these novelists and these poets there doing their work.
You have this feeling that this was a community or a culture of folks who were
not ONLY engaged in the study of literature, although that obviously was a big
part of what they did. I think that trying to articulate the culture of writing
that existing during these early years and the role that creative writers,
perhaps, played in it, would be important for providing context. I noted that
Russell Banks taught ENGL 401 there at one point, obviously before things
started going well for him.
I also find myself drawn to a kind of pre-professional “innocence”
of the period. They’re not really talking about academic writing—they’re
talking about writing. The craft of writing. The writing process. There is a
huge commitment to getting students to think of themselves as writers, to come
up with creative exercises to foster writing and to help students produce
interesting, engaging non-fiction prose. I think it’s this commitment to the
production of a kind of steely non-fiction prose—not quite journalism, not
academic writing, for SURE, that interests me. That’s what I fell in love with
at UNH…the shoptalk, being included in the shoptalk about writing and about
writers. That’s all gone for me now, it seems. But I find myself longing for that
kind of course. UNH seemed to be a place where a faculty member from writing
could create a writing course where one might read creative non-fiction or
essays or even novels and one could be a faculty member from literature where
one would teach…well, I’m not sure. But there was a certain kind of essayistic
writing that was valued in the program and that was advocated for. Certainly,
ENGL 401 at that time did not seem to be geared towards academic writing or the
preparation for academic writing in the way we think of it now. They were
shooting for something far broader, far higher-up and very different. It’s not
hard to see why faculty from other disciplines would say that ENGL 401 was not
teaching anything that really resembled academic writing, but students, like
me, might come away saying that ENGL 401 was a favorite course and, in some
ways, a course which changed their lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.