"Research Update: We Won't Let Them Write." Language Arts 55.5 (May 1978): 635-40.
"Back to School." Concord Monitor, Concord, New Hampshire, August 23, 1982. in A Researcher Learns to Write: Selected Articles and Monographs. Exeter, NH: Heinemann, 1984. 172-174
"Some children will be delighted to return to school in a few weeks, but a growing number of American children hate the prospect."
"Sixty Minutes I and II." in A Researcher Learns to Write: Selected Articles and Monographs. Exeter, NH: Heinemann, 1984. 110-119
"The two pieces are part of this collection because I thought they would show what good first-draft writing can be like if the topic is an alive one."
"Don't Underestimate What Children Can Write." Presentation to the National Commission on Excellence in Education Hearings, Houston, Texas, April 1982. in A Researcher Learns to Write: Selected Articles and Monographs. Exeter, NH: Heinemann, 1984. 166-171
This is a summary of his research from the NIE project.
This is a literacy narrative or autobiography of Graves' experience learning how to write in his life. Short, but interesting and useful...
"We Can End The Energy Crisis." Language Arts 55 (Oct 1978):795-796.
This is a short piece about transformation--teacher transformation.
Others on Graves
Giacobbe, Mary Ellen. "The Teacher as Learner: The Research of Donald Graves." Heinemann.
Newkirk, Thomas. Where it All Started.
Routman, Regi. "Donald Graves: Outstanding Educator in the Language Arts." Language Arts 72 (1995): 518-525. (Nice summary of Graves' early years at UNH)
Swick Slover, Kimberly "The Write Way." UNH Magazine, Winter 2005.
"Passing: Donald Graves, Founder of UNH Writing Process Laboratory." UNH Campus Journal, October 6, 2010.
Interviews
"Secrets of a Master Writer: An Interview With Donald Graves." Penny Kittle, Heinemann. October
2010.
Balance the Basics: Let them Write (A Report to the Ford Foundation) February 1978
Excerpt (1:40-3:20)
But then there's a long time between then and when I was much older and I survived college, I survived D+ change-the-typewriter ribbon on my senior thesis, was put on academic probation but it wasn't until really I met Don Murray, at the age of 43 years old and we talked back and forth and finally, there was someone who could spot my voice within the garbage. I was writing dissertationese and he spotted one line, I think it was "I was startled by the sound of machine-gun fire from the rear." That was my lead to a piece, only it was about a boy who was producing sound-effects to go with his writing. So, that phase of the writing life for me, as far as growing up as a writer, and I found my voice as a writer at that point, sort of. And Murray helped me through the weeds and hilltops and whatever.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.