Thursday, December 20, 2012

Organizing Ideas for the chapter

A key point that Dias et. al help me make is the focus on the social motive of academic writing--in school, writing is undertaken for epistemic as opposed to instrumental or practical purposes (to get things done). This is a key point to make in regard to my participants...

Another key point: the point that Ketter/Hunter makes, via Geisler, I believe, about the identity that academic writing requires--that of the novice.

An idea I am having...genre analysis of three documents:

Tony: Run-Report, Medical journal article
Joe: reports/proposals (current-state, desired-state, plan for implentation)

Compare to:

Tony: Popular Culture essay
Joe: literary analysis essay

The ideas I'm wanting to discuss have to do with genre, identity, activity theory or discourse community.

This might be an interesting organizational structure to consider...the chapter begins with an analysis of work genres, what these genres make available to these individuals. Then, a movement to school genres and what these make available to them. The lens or tool I might use is the Pare/Smart--"Observing Genres in Action" chapter.

Section 1: Analysis of workplace genres (patient-care report and C/D/P)
Section 2: Analysis of academic genres (pop culture essay and literary analysis essay)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.