I'm thinking about the relationship between these two men and whether/how to write about this. Towards these ends, what sources might I consult?
Building a Composition Program Over Lunch
Also, see "Sixty Minutes I and II" in A Researcher Learns to Write, see the passage on p. 115 that begins, "Murray sat in his chair..."
In "Don't Underestimate What Children Can Write" (p. 166-167 of A Researcher Learns to Write) Graves includes a timeline which references his consultations with Murray
Murray and Graves one, as far as I can tell, one thing together: "Revision: In the Writer's Workshop and in the Classroom." The introduction to this essay, from the editors, makes an interesting move and a useful move, in terms of framing these two men--it positions Murray as "the writer" and Graves as "the researcher":
In an attempt to explore the revision process, the Journal of Education invited a writer, who is also a researcher into the writing process, to keep a journal while he was revising a novel and several pieces of non-fiction. We also invited a researcher into the writing process, who is also a writer, to comment on the writer's journal and to point out the classroom implications of the writer's testimony.
The writer is Donald Murray, a Professor of English at the University of New Hampshire. During the period when he kept this journal - September 19, 1979 to December 8, 1979 - he revised a novel of more than 300 manuscript pages and revised four pieces of nonfiction. Donald Graves, the researcher, is Associate Professor of Education at the University of New Hampshire and Director of the Writing Process Laboratory. (38)I like the way this is framed:
- Murray: a writer who is also a researcher
- Graves: a researcher who is also a writer
I also like the idea here of evangelist (Murray):
In a sabbatical report he wrote several years later, Murray joked “My folks started me out in life to be a boy evangelist. I rejected that to find myself becoming a sort of educational evangelist.”
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.