Thursday, December 22, 2016

Third Epoch Notes

What are the things I want to touch in when I describe the third epoch?

As I'm reading through Amber Ahlstrom's dissertation, in particular the section called "The Dough Bubbles" (p. 116-134), I'm struck by the commitment on the part of the faculty of the department tot the TRAINING of English teachers--of all levels, including graduate students and instructors. Ahlstrom writes of her work with Lester Fisher in ENGL 810. She also writes of her teaching journal. She was a member of a community intensely interested in questions of pedagogy, of professional development, of teacher identity and development. It seems to me that this is an another important element to touch on in the story of the 3rd epoch... Graves is research children's writing and focused mostly on K-5 or so. Murray is training journalists and interacting with everyone, really, but esp college and high school teachers. Teacher development. I think that's an important thread in that story.

I've envisioned the third epoch as significant for its emphases on:

research on the writing process (Murray, Graves, Newkirk)
research on the teaching of writing (Newkirk,
research on the teaching of teachers (Ahlstrom, Tobin)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.