This is a really interesting article. In it, Murray traces "three kinds of teaching, each new stage building on the one before" (181 in Learning By Teaching)
First is Teaching by Telling (or, Teaching Standing Up)--"Teaching standing up isn't easy; it's an art in itself. And we have colleagues who make a respectable career of teaching by telling. But after approximately five years of teaching standing up I was moved to a new classroom, and I found I had a new craft to learn. (182)
Second is Teaching By Listening (or, Teaching Sitting Down)-- "It took me at least ten years to learn to teach sitting down. I felt I had at last learned teaching by listening when Tim said at the end of class, "That was the best class we've had." And I was able to answer, "I know. I didn't speak for the first fifty minutes." (183)
Third is Teaching By Revealing--I also realize that I have become comfortable enough to teach by revealing my own learning (183).
Last Paragraph: I no longer know what I will teach or what I will learn in a class, of from a class. I am never sure, in fact, what has been learned. But I do know that learning is taking place, for I am learning, and my students are learning, and we are revealing our learning together. (184)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.