Friday, March 1, 2019

A Whole Bunch of Useful Timeline Shit I Don't Know What to Do With


BIG PICTURE:Throughout his career, Donald Murray’s work was guided by two, central, animating questions: 1) Why is writing taught so poorly in our schools? 2) What might be done to teach it differently? This book, simply, is an attempt to understand the ways in which Murray came to answer these questions during the forty-plus years that he was associated with the fields of composition/rhetoric and literacy studies.

ADD: What happens when writers write? Or is that one of the answers to #2 (i.e. study what writers do when they write and teach students that, instead).

Watershed Years: 

1968: transition from journalist/freelancer to writing teacher and… guru? consultant? 
1976: transition from writer teaching writing to member of writing research community

Period 1: 1963 to around-1974/75/76
Period 2: 1974/75 to 

1968: 

·     Promoted to full professor
·     NDEA Institute at UNH
·     A Writer Teaches Writingpublished
·     Revision of English major to allow writing
·     2ndyear of NESDEC
·     Delivers NCTE conference paper (Nov): “Finding Your Own Voice,” published a year later in CCC. 
·     First published articles in scholarly journals, “The Explorers of Inner Space” (The Dial) & “Give Your Students the Writers Five Experiences” (The Leaflet)


Possible Title: “A Man of Dynamic Presence, an Experienced and Practicing Writer” (from Daggett’s report on the NDEA institutes at UNH, p. 6)

Sources:

·     Report on the Second Semester, 1963-64 (Memo to Bing, 5/26/64)
·     “Why My Role is Changing” letter to Jack Richardson, spring 1968
·     Goodman Letter (1/31/70)—in folder: Murray Goodman
·       

Heading in Other Directions

·     WENH plans (spring 1964)

Birth of a Guru

·     Writers and writing teachers around the world see Murray as guru, mentor, inspiration. Any member of the UNH English Department who attends a national conference can count on being approached by strangesr who ask reverently, “UNH? Wow, do you know Don Murray?” (“News: Writing on Deadline” in folder Murray Journalism Program)
·     In Hollis, Bill and I agreed that the principle role of the guruwas as a support and resource to the teacher, and I think that is true, when you can establish rapport with the teacher. (Letter to Dick Gooldman, 1/31/70, Murray Goodman folder)


Two important experiences as he is transitioning to UNH in the early 1960s:

1.    Preparing to teach Freshman English
2.    Working with pre-service teachers

He talks at great length about both of these as important influences…

How did Donald Murray work to reform the teaching of writing in U.S. secondary and post-secondary schools?

1.    Guru/Consultant:He worked directly with teachers, initially in their classrooms and later in a never-ending series of institutes, workshops, and seminars and graduate classes. (NESDEC, 1968 NDEA Workshop)—for a terrific resource to perhaps kick off this section, see the document Failed NESDEC Wellesley Workshop (1970) and look at the second-to-last paragraph in which he talks about why teachers don’t want a student-centered curriculum…

BIG PICTURE QUOTES: 

For a nice “snapshot” of his multiple roles, see “Talks, Workshops, and Other Professional Activities for the Academic Year 1976-77” in with 1977 Annual Report. This shows the many different roles he was playing by this point, including with Graves.

·     “My folks started me out in life to be a boy evangelist. I rejected that to find myself becoming a sort of educational evangelist.” (comment from Sabbatical Report, 1969-70)
·      I work informally with many public school teachers and with journalists. Some of these people have been students and some not. I feel strongly that the university faculty should be a professional resource to the world beyond the campus. (annual report, 1971)
·     Since half of my teaching and a good share of my publications is involved in the training of teachers, it is important that I work with teachers in their communities, so that I can discover their problems and the changing environments in which they work. I suppose I am providing a service to them, but the greatest value for me is what I learn from teahcers of writing and writing students. (Annual Report, 1975)
·     My most satisfying work this year has been in my continuing exploration of the writing process and how to teach it. (Annual Report, 1976)
·      I have been extremely active in working with groups interested in the teaching of writing. I fear, however, that there is a bit more giving than getting in this activity. I shall continue it because I am evangelical (75%) and because I need to supplement my income (25%), with two and possibly three children in college in the next few years. (Supplemental Letter, 1975/76, in with Annual Report, 1977)

New Hampshire Writing Project

·      I was invited as guest lecturer to the Bay Area Writing Project at the University of California Berkeley. I gave a public lecture on one day and ran a workshop on another day. I also attended sessions which helped me understand the strengths and weaknesses of this program, the most extensive in the teaching of writing in this country. It will spend $5,000,000 next year and have 57 sites across the country. One of those sites will be at Exeter, and will have a connection with the university. It was helpful to the planning of that program to work with the leadership of the Bay Area Project in Berkeley. (Sabbatical Report, 1978, in with Annual Eval from 1978).
·     Spoke at the Exeter Writing Program, an NEH funded program at Phillips Exeter Academy, 7/31/79.

Westbrook/Roger Garrison Connection

Spoke to communication college teachers from across the country as part of a program at Westbrook College, Portland, Maine. (Chronology, 1975/76, w/Annual Report, 1976).

Public Office 

New Hampshire Council on Teacher Education, 1968-70. (Inventory of Education Activities, 11/4/74)

Engagement with EPDA (The Education Professions developing Act of 1967) more here.

·      I participated in a proposal the English Department has submitted to the federal government to offer a master’s program to train junior college teachers. (Annual Report, 9/23/71)
·     Member of the committee for the EPDA Junior College Program (Annual Report, 5/23/72)
·      I have helped set up and will attend an evening pro-seminar program for the EPDA Program (see letter to Ellis, 10/9/72)
·     Member of the committee to direct the MA in Junior College Teaching (Annual Report, 3/21/74)

Journalism Consulting

·     Murray’s first workshop with reporters/journalist is in Durham in fall 1966. See Boston Herald-Traveler folder.
·     Boston Herald/Traveler workshop, Sept 1966.
·     Clinic for 34 newspapermen, Feb. 8 1973 (Annual Report, 5/18/73)
·     Spoke to the New England Associated Press News Executives Meeting, 9/28/79. (Annual Report, 1979-80).
·      I have served from January 1, 1980 to June 30, 1980 as editorial consultant to the Boston Globe. My assignment is to work with writers and editors on the Globe to improve writing. I publish a weekly newsletter for 400 editorial employees, run workshops, hold individual conferences and consult with management. This has been of immense professional stimulation for me and has directly benefitted my students and colleagues in our journalism program. I spent a week at the Globe during break and go to the Globe every Wednesday. (Annual Report, 1979-80).

NESDEC

·     Letter to Richardson, Murray is asked back to work in Nashua/Hollis again, fall 1966 (summer experimental program planned)—location of this document?
·     Director of Project Write, New England School Development Council (1968)—see annual report, 1968-69
·     NESDEC/Bowdoin workshop for teachers (1969, 1970)—see Sabbatical Report (9/16/70)
·     Directed a workshop in the teaching of composition for the NESDEC at Bowdoin College 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970. Gave it up when I began to know what I was going to say before I said it. (Inventory of Education Activities, 11/4/74)
·     Director of research program to improve the teaching of writing in Hollis, New Hampshire High School, 1965-67. (Inventory of Education Activities, 11/4/74)
·     Director of Project Write, a major research program for the New England School Development Council, 1965-1970. (Inventory of Education Activities, 11/4/74)
·     Director of NESDEC research project in elementary education, 1967-68. (Inventory of Education Activities, 11/4/74)

NDEA Workshop

·     NDEA Workshop: Murray teaches ENGL 801: Advanced Composition for High School English Teachers. 

Consultant to Elem and Secondary Schools

·     See letter to Bingham, spring 1964, “Report on the Second Semester, 1963-64.” There is a blurb on ENGL 706: Expository Writing in which Murray mentions that he visited high schools around NH.


·     Also, see Report on the First Semester, to Bingham (in Annual Reports, 1960s) for a quick summary of his experience teaching ENGL 85 Expository Writing, “This course, designed principally for students who will become high school English teachers, was my most successful course.” 
·     Wellesley workshop/seminars
·     As of fall 1965, Murray is doing significant speaking engagements around NE, high schools, teachers associations, NESDEC, colleges, and other (alumni association, athletes, superintendents gathering, librarians
·     My work with teachers in their schools is of direct value to me in teaching teachers here and in researching the writing process and the process of teaching writing. (Supplemental Letter, spring 1976, Annual Report, 1976)

Reader’s Digest Educational Division Composition Project

·     Educational Consultant, Reader’s Digest Educational Division Composition Project (1968)—see annual report, 1968-69; “we are attempting for the first time to take what the writer knows and break it down in such a way that the elementary school child can learn to write” (annual report, Sept 1971). He is BOTH Chief Author AND Editor-Consultant on this project—for a brief description of what the latter entails, see his note on p. 3 of annual report, Sept 1971.
·     Write To Communicate, a language arts program for Grades III, IV, V and VI has been completed this academic year. (Annual Report, 5/18/73)
·     See summary of what this project entailed (Annual Report, 3/21/73)

Field/Discipline Participation

·      I was elected to a three-year term as Director of the NCTE (Annual Review, May 1972)
·     Advisory Committee, Elementary English (Annual Report, 5/18/73)
·      I am a reader of scholarly papers for ERIC and the Conference on English Education. (Annual Report, 1974, p. 3)

Private Sector Consulting

·      I have done a modest amount of editorial consulting for the Chairman of the Board of the McCord Corporation. The editing of the Annual Report, an advertisement for the Wall Street Journal, policy statements to be made before a government agency, and so forth, are important reminders of the demands which are imposed by the non-academic world, and help me be a better teacher of those students who will be working in such worlds. (Annual Report, 1974, p. 3)
·     See list of talks, workshops, etc for 1976/77 year (in with Annual Report, 1977)

NEH Funded Workshop at UVM

·     Faculty member in program for teachers of writing at the University of Vermont (four weeks long), funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities (Annual Report, 1978)
·     For the second summer I was on the faculty at a NEH Grant at the University of Vermont. These three weeks were possibly the most stimulating period I have ever had in the teaching of writing. Because of my leave and the time I have had for observing, reading, reflection and writing I was able to test and refine a number of new ideas in the teaching of writing. I was greatly stimulated by my colleagues and my students at the University of Vermont. (Sabbatical Report, Aug 1978, in with 1979 Annual Report)
·     While in Vermont I served as a guest lecturer for three afternoons in a special program at the Bread Loaf School of English at Middlebury College, supported by the Rockefeller Foundation. There I worked with James Moffett, one of the most significant theorists in the study of the writing process. I was able to introduce Professor Donald Graves to Mr. Moffett on one of the afternoons and Professor Thomas Newkirk on another afternoon. These three sessions were stimulating and should lead to further work in the future. (Sabbatical Report, Aug 1978, in with 1979 Annual Report).
·     Vermont Writing Program, NEH Funded program at the University of Vermont. I help select, train and supervise the 20 public school teachers who teach writing to 100 teaches from Vermont during the month of July. (Annual Report, 1979-80).


2.    A Writer’s (and Writing Teacher’s) University:He built on and extended UNH’s existing reputation as a “writer’s university,” helping to transform the university into a place where writing, and not just creative writing, was taught and researched. (ENGL 501, Freshman English WPA, Graduate courses, Ph.D. programs)

Big Picture:

I believe very strongly that I can best serve the university if I am able to get some writing skills into the fingers of my students. When I taught before I was interested in the complexities and subtleties of my subjects. Since then I have discovered the far greater challenge of simplicity. I am challenged to discover the most elemental principles of the subjects I teach. I try to tell the student these principles as clearly as I can, and then I try to make him discover their validity for himself. (Report on the First Semester, Annual Reports, 1960s)

I […] want to place a challenge before those students who do study writing with me. I want them to experience the craft of writing and rewriting. I want them to approximate whenever possible the job of the professional writer. The quality of their work depends directly on its quantity. (Report on the First Semester, Annual Reports, 1960s)

Education in English

Educational publishing, educational activities, educational teaching are important parts of the careers of many people in the department yet only Goffe is listed in this area. (for more, see letter from Murray to Tom C and Bob H, 9/24/74, in with Personnel Materials, 1975).

Writing Process Laboratory

·     Also, see paragraph “In all my investigations into the writing process Dr. Graves has been a stimulating colleague…” which goes on to mention Ford Foundation and the proposal for the Center for the Study of the Writing Process (later The Writing Process Lab). (Annual Report, 1976)
·     Held a series of meetings with Don Graves and Jerry Pine to develop plans for a center for the study of the writing process. (Annual Report, 1976)
·     The Writing Process Lab under the direction of Dr. Donald Graves in the Department of Education has been an extremely productive experience. My contacts with Dr. Graves are always positive and stimulating. He is the person most responsible for the fact that I may survive the scholarly wasteland of being a chairperson. (Supplemental Letter with Annual Report, 1975-76)
·     The Writing Process Lab under the direction of Dr. Donald Graves in the Department of Education has been an extremely productive experience. My contacts with Dr. Graves are always positive and stimulating. He is the person most responsible for the fact that I may survive the scholarly wasteland of being a chairperson. (Annual Report, 1977)
·     Although I did not teach at the university, I continued to learn at the university, principally through my continued participation in the Writing Process Lab and its members. Since I was released from other responsibilities I was able to pursue areas of academic exploration which became clear because of the intellectual stimulation of my colleagues. This stimulation came principally from Professor Donald Graves of the Education Department. My travels this year have reinforced my belief that he is doing more than any other single person to explore and understand the writing process. His NIE grant testifies to this. His reputation around the country in this area is extraordinary and well-deserved. (Sabbatical Letter, Aug 1978, in with 1978 Annual Report)

Freshman English

Courses—I understand I will teach a two-semester course in news reporting and writing and several composition courses. One of these will be a one-semester course in which the advanced student would rewrite (and rewrite) a single piece of non-fiction to professional standards. I will, of course, take my turn with Freshman English. (letter to Bing, 2/21/63)

·     Memo to Freshman English Planning Committee (2/15/66)
·     See letter to Bingham, spring 1964, “Report on the Second Semester, 1963-64.” He mentions ENGL 401 here, plans for how to teach it
·      I also accepted, at the end of the spring term, chairmanship of the Freshman English program. (annual report, p. 3, Sept 1971)
·     See note in Report on the First Semester, to Bingham (Annual Reports, 1960s), where Murray discusses ENGL 1: “Since I have been appointed to the committee planning this course for next year, I will express my questions about the course through the committee. In general I feel it is important that the students be given an opportunity to write.” 
·     In addition to administering the course I also teach its staff through weekly meetings and almost daily conferences with the graduate assistants and young faculty who teach in the course. (Letter to Ellis, 10/9/72)

MFA/MA in Writing

·     Murray is on the MFA committee as of 1968 (see annual report for that year).
·     Murray agrees to serve as chair director of the proposed MFA program (see sabbatical report, 1969-70)
·     Member of the Committee to direct and review candidates for the MA in Writing (Annual Report, 3/21/73)

Ed Department Collaborations

·     Ran seminars for the Education Department’s Experienced Teacher Program and Elementary Education MAT Program (see Sabbatical Report, 1969-70)
·     First mention of collaboration w/Graves (Annual Report, 1974, p. 4)
·     Two of the most stimulating activities I have participated in this year are a regular luncheon meeting with Professors Graves and Ackerman of the Education Department, where we discus problems in children’s language… (Annual Report, 1974, p. 4)
·     English 712: A course introducing teaching majors to methods of reading and writing non-fiction. Team-taught with Tom Carnicelli. Many Master’s papers and Independent Study projects on teaching writing.” (Inventory of Ed. Activities, 11/4/74)
·     Participated in a Seminar in Children’s Thinking supported by federal funds and sponsored by the Educational Department 1967, 1968, 1969. (Inventory of Education Activities, 11/4/74)
·     Participated in seminar meetings for the elementary and secondary MAT programs. 

Chair of Freshman English

·      I consider the work which I did this year with the Freshman English staff, which will be reported below, really to be educational, for I saw my principal job as a teacher of the junior faculty and graduate assistant staff. (Faculty Annual Report, 1972)
·      I took over the Chairmanship of Freshman English… (Faculty Annual Report, 1972)
·      I planned and ran an orientation program for the Freshman English staff before school began. (Letter to Ellis, 10/9/72)

WAC Work

·      I participated during the second semester in a senior course in the writing of history with Professor Charles Clark. (Faculty Annual Report, 1972)
·     Appeared at University Program for Science Students (Annual Report, 5/18/73)
·     Colloquium, Philosophy Department, 3/21/73 (Annual Report, 5/18/73)
·     Gave a presentation to a graduate seminar in elementary ed. (Annual Report, 5/18/73)
·     Within the university community I spoke to a graduate seminar in the Forestry Department on scientific writing, to a child development course in the Psychology Department on writing for children (Annual Report, 1974, p. 4)
·     Met with History Department graduate students to discuss writing and the teaching of writing (Annual Report, 1975)
·     Ran two workshops for the Educational Department’s Master of Arts in Teaching program (Annual Report, 1975)
·     Spoken on writing to graduate students in the Departments of History, Psychology and Forestry. Team-taught a colloquium for seniors in History Department. (Inventory of Education Activities, 11/4/74)
·     “Will participate in History Department’s new training program for TAs” (Letter on Education Activities (9/24/74)
·     This year I spoke to all the candidates for the MBA degree and to the graduate forestry students (Annual Report, 1976).
·     Met with graduate students in the Psychology Department to discuss teaching and the teaching of writing. (Annual Report, 1976)
·     Scheduled to run workshops on the teaching of writing for UNH faculty sponsored by the Teacher/Learning Council. (Annual Report, 1976)
·      I have also been an informal advisor to faculty from across the university on problems of writing and teaching writing. (Supplement to Annual Report, Spring 1975)
·     Met twice to run a program on technical writing for environmental studies graduate students at UNH (Chronological account, 1975/76 with Annual Report, 1975/76)
·      I have also been an informal advisor to faculty from across the university on problems of writing and teaching writing, (1977 Annual Report)
·     Lectured on writing to an economics class at UNH (Summary of Talks, 1976-77, Included with 1977 Annual Report)
·     Ran a workshop on the teaching of writing for faculty outside the English Department at UNH (Summary of Talks, 1976-77, Included with 1977 Annual Report)
·     Ran faculty wide workshop on writing at Bloomsburg State College, Bloomsburg, PA, 9/13-14, 1979. (Annual Report, 1979-80).

Pursuit of His Own Creating Writing

·      I wrote a number of poems, and had my first poems accepted for publication in The New York Times and the Southern Poetry Review. (Faculty Annual Report, 1972).
·     …an informal evening group in which undergraduates, graduates and faculty read and discuss each other’s poetry. (Annual Report, 1974, p. 4)

Graduate Work/Teaching in Writing Pedagogy

·     “New seminar,” ENGL 817. Taught fall/spring (72/73) (Annual Report, 5/18/73)
·     “The new course I am teaching this year in the teaching of writing, which will help train teachers for the state public schools, elementary through college, has come out of the work I am publishing in this area. (Letter to Ellis, 10/9/72)
·     Supervised three MA papers—but what were these on? (Annual Report, 1975)
·     Appointed to a dissertation committee at Duke University (?) (Annual Report, 1975)
·     “English 817 Seminar in the Teaching of Writing –in my opinion, my primary course at the University of New Hampshire. I hope to offer it each fall and some summers. I assume Tom Carnicelli, Les Fisher and perhaps others will teach this course as well.” (Inventory of Ed. Activities, 11/4/74)
·     “817: includes students from our MA and PhD literature programs, MST, MA in Linguistics, MA in writing, MAT, MA in jr college teaching and special students who are practicing English teachers and elementary, secondary and college.” (Inventory of Ed. Activities, 11/4/74).
·     During the summer I taught English 817, a seminar in teaching writing, and supervised one student in independent study, one newspaper intern, and two masters papers. The seminar attracted 41 teachers from New Hampshire, southern Maine, and northeastern Massachussetts, as well as other parts of the country. It demonstrated the fact that there are many English teachers who would like in-service professional training during the summer. As a result, we are offering a course to train teachers in the teaching of journalism this summer [1976]. (Annual Report, 1976)
·      I have a fine mix of students in the seminar which has met at my home and is more of a meeting of colleageus than a teaching situation. I have done weekly seminar papers with the students and have learned from the studnets as well as with them. A fascinating mix of students: the head of the Somersworth High School English Department, a student from our doctoral program, another from our graduate writing program and four teachers on sabbatical including a professor from Australia who came here to take the seminar. (Annual Report, 1979-80)

ENGL 501

·     Team taught course with Fisher in fall 1970 (see Annual Report, 9/23/71).
·     Experimental teaching in 501: “The students write in a four-hour writing lab, where I am available for immediate response.” (see Annual Report, 3/21/74)
·     Chairman, English 501 (eight to nine sections usually taught). (see Annual Report, 3/21/74)
·     I’ve taught a section of 501 again this spring, and found it once more just about my favorite course. I particularly enjoy teaching the remedial students who turn out not so remedial. After a number of workshop sessions I taught it again entirely by conference. (Annual Report 1975)
·      I have served as Chairperson of English 501-Introduction to Prose Writing. We have offered 34 sections of the course this year, 30 of them taught by lecturers or teaching assistants. It has taken more time than one would expect to select staff each semester, and there are continuing supervisory responsibilities and some time-consuming student appeals. There is also some training of new staff (Annual Report, 1979)
·     Chairperson of ENGL 501. Responsibility for staffing and supervising course with 38 sections a year staffed largely with TAs and Lecturers. (Annual Report, 1979-80).


3.    Writing About Writing(he uses this phrase in letter to Goodman, 1/31/70): He got to work studying his own writing process, trying to understand how, as he would put it elsewhere, the pork was made (and what implications there were for the teaching of writing based on his own self-study) and sharing this work with writing teachers through myriad publications. (Here, perhaps identify a series of publications, beginning with A Writer Teaches Writing and then forward into the early 1970s, perhaps up to “Teach Writing As Process.” In 1974 he assembled a Bibliography for the Teaching of Writing.)

I am normally, sometimes I think abnormally, insecure about my own writing. But I felt that I had no alternative to studying my own writing processes. That was my scholarly territory, as eccentric and egocentric as it might be. I hoped that by taking my professional clothes off in public I would encourage other writers, better writers than I, to share their craft. Unfortunately, few have even been asked. (unpublished manuscript, “Writing in Action,” p. 1, Folder: Unpublished Manuscripts—Murray)

I hope to have made some sort of contribution to the teaching of writing, but I hope by the end of this academic year to conclude most of my writing about writing and simply write. In the years ahead I hope to concentrate on poetry and fiction, and write more to interior demand rather than publishers’ deadlines. (Sabbatical Report, 1969-70)

Murray’s earliest written articles are a series of conversations and arguments with the people with whom he disagrees—frequently, existing teachers of writing and literature professors…

Phase 1 Publication (1963-1976 or so)

The writer knows what he/she wants to do before he/she begins to write

Prewriting is not a simple one-two-three process. The elements of prewriting change in emphasis and order, but before the professional writer completes his first draft he has attempted to find a subject, to summon the information which will support his subject and to choose the vehicle which will carry it to his reader. He has identified his audience; developed a feeling for the appropriate structure and tone and point of view. (Elementary Pupil, p. 5)

There is a Cycle of Craft or a Process That Applies in All Situations

The publishing writer--novelist, scientist, historian, journalist, scholar, adman, poet--passes through an identifiable cycle of craft, a ritual of process which has significant implications for the elementary language arts program. (Elementary Pupil, p. 3)

The Myth of Writing is Magic is True

"the myth of arts is real--there is something unexplainable in the skill of a Milton or a Mailer, a Lowell or a Train." (Elementary Pupil 3)

We Should Study What Professional Writers Do and Teach That to Our Students

·     Quite simply, your pupils can learn to write much more effectively if they are led to experience the writer's cycle of craft. (Elementary Pupil p. 3)
·     Yet, despite such evidence, we rarely build our language arts curriculum on what most expert writers have had to learn and practice. (Elementary Pupil 3)

Revenge on Teachers

·     There is another impolitic, painful fact which must be mentioned: the most conscientious and traditional teacher may be the worst writing teacher. The teacher who sees himself teaching in the most conventional way--telling his pupils exactly what to do, giving precise assignments, meticulously correcting each paper--may actually prevent his students from learning to write. (Elementary Pupil p. 4)

Prewriting/Writing/Rewriting (in that order)

·     At last the writer passes from prewriting to writing. (“Your Elementary Student and the Writer’s Cycle of Craft,” p. 6)
·     The writer may have to go back through the stages of prewriting and writing, once again or many times again. (“Your Elementary Student and the Writer’s Cycle of Craft,” p. 7)
·     The cycle of craft turns on itself. Final draft becomes beginning, editing reveals a new point of view, a word through of before a single sentence is written crystallizes the entire piece. (“Your Elementary Student and the Writer’s Cycle of Craft,” p. 8)

Teachers Must Also Be Writers

See “Your Elementary Student and the Writer’s Cycle of Craft,” p. 9)

The Issue of Etiquette

But even in the final editing the professional writer doesn't look to the language but
through it to what he has to say, not asking, "Is this the attractive word?" as much as, "Is this the accurate word?" (The Interior View, p. 23)





Shift Towards Research

Graves arrives 1973 (fall) or 1974 (?)

Stage 1: Bibliography Project (1974)

·     My principal scholarly interest is in the creative process. I am submitting a CURF proposal this spring which will help me make better use of the library of materials on the writing process which I have accumulated through the years. I hope to complete a student in this area in the next five years. (Annual Report 3/21/74)
·     More on the CURF grant, which he received, and the bibliographic project (Annual Report, 1975).

Stage 2: Joining and Leading Research Communities (75/76)

·     The University of Buffalo invited twelve “authorities” in the English-speaking world to investigate areas in the writing process and point out the direction research should take in the years ahead (Conference on Research and Composing—see p. 6 of Annual Report). Half a dozen of us at a time spent a week-end at Buffalo giving our paper and responding to other papers. This was an exciting and stimulating time for me, and the paper I gave, “Internal Revision: A Process of Discovery,” has been well-received and has led to further invitations. It will be a chapter in a book to be published by the NCTE. (Annual Report, 1976)
·     The paper at Buffalo led to an invitation to participate in a seminar at Rutgers University, and the paper given there, “Teach the Motivating Force of Revision,” is scheduled to be a chapter in another book. (Annual Report, 1976)
·     The Buffalo paper led Dr. Richard Lloyd-Jones of the University of Iowa to ask me to participate in a seminar on the theoretical problems in rhetoric at the CCCC in Philadelphia. The paper I gave there, “Reading for Surprise,” further develops some of the ideas proposed at Buffalo, and is being prepared for publication. (Annual Report, 1976)
·      I was also invited to give a major paper and to participate in a seminar at the Secondary School English Conference of the NCTE in Boston. (Annual Report, 1976)
·     Served as a member of a dissertation committee in the Education Department at Duke University. (Annual Report, 1976)
·     Served as a reader for ERIC, a national organization which maintains a bibliography of educational materials. (Annual Report, 1976)
·      I would rank my scholarship this year a bit higher than my colleagues have. My publications have not been high, but I have given five major papers, all of which will be published, and they have had an important relationship to each other. Although I have played a role within the group of academics who are investigating the writing process during the last ten years, I have received more professional recognition of that role this year than I have in the past.(Memo to Allan Spits from Murray 5/27/76, w/Annual Report, 1976).
·     Appointed an affiliate speaker of the Conference on College Composition and Communication of the National Council of Teachers of English in recognition of contributions to the understanding of the writing process. (Annual Report, 1978)
·      I note in Murray’s 1978 Annual Report that his standing does seem to be elevated. In his list of Professional and Scholarly Activities he is giving keynotes, having papers invited, serving as chairperson, serving as a panelist, giving a luncheon address. Not just workshops but more visible and substantial role—becoming a kind of spokesperson for the cause (?)
·      I have served this year as Editor of a department or column in The English Journal(Annual Report, 1979)
·      I am on two master’s committees and on doctoral committees in our Psychology Department and at Duke, Buffalo and the University of Massachusetts (Annual Report, 1979-80). 
·     Regarding his book chapter “The Writing Process: How Writing Finds Its Meaning”: "This was a major piece of work. It was an invited chapter for a bookand it has been chosen to lead the bookwhich will be published shortly by the National Council of Teachers of English. It describes the writing/reading process in a way different from what it has been described before and received quite a bit of attention through pre-publication reprints." (Annual Report, 1979-80)
·     “The Feel of Writing”, chapter invited for a bookedited by Aviva Freedman and Ian Pringle which is scheduled for publication by a Canadian publisher under the auspices of the Canadian Council of Teachers of English. 
·     “Out of Silence, A Voice” lead chapterin English in the 80’s, edited by R. Baird Shuman and published by the National Education Associates. 
·     “Reflections: The Child as Informer” in Language Arts(May, 1980) marks another moment of leadership for Murray—here’s the description from the journal: “Leaders in the profession known for their expertise on the theme of this issue were invited to reflect on the 1970s.” Murray is one of five “leaders” who write on three questions posed by the journal editor(s). He joins in the company with Neil Postman!
·     “Facets: The Most Important Development in the Last Five Years For High School English Teachers of Composition” (Sept 1984)Another “taking stock” moment where Murray is invited, this time by English Journal, to weigh in on the BIG PICTURE. Notable that just four years earlier he was invited to weigh in similarly, but by a journal aimed at elementary school teachers…
·      I have reviewed book manuscripts for various publishers including Harper and Row and Longman and am a reader for ERIC, a scholarly bibliographic service in my field. I also review proposals for NEH. (Annual Report, 1979-80). 
·     Invited paper at CCCC, annual meeting in Washington, DC 3/15/80. (Annual Report, 1979-80)

Stage 3: Research on Writing at UNH

·     During this year I have also carried on an extensive research program with Professor Donald Graves of the Educational Department at the Conval School District in Peterborough, New Hampshire. We have developed and are testing a method of evaluating student writing which is quite different from anything which has been done before. (Annual Report, 1976)
·     Also, see paragraph “In all my investigations into the writing process Dr. Graves has been a stimulating colleague…” which goes on to mention Ford Foundation and the proposal for the Center for the Study of the Writing Process (later The Writing Process Lab). (Annual Report, 1976)
·     Held a series of meetings with Don Graves and Jerry Pine to develop plans for a center for the study of the writing process. (Annual Report, 1976)
·     The Writing Process Lab under the direction of Dr. Donald Graves in the Department of Education has been an extremely productive experience. My contacts with Dr. Graves are always positive and stimulating. He is the person most responsible for the fact that I may survive the scholarly wasteland of being a chairperson. (Supplemental Letter with Annual Report, 1975-76)
·     Participated in developing plans for a Writing Process Laboratory at UNH, which received support from the Ford Foundation. (Chronology, 1975/76, with Annual Report, 1976)




Imagine that you’ve suffered a lifetime’s abuse at the hands of teachers and you are given the opportunity to write a book in which you can now offer advice on what they’ve done wrong and what they should do instead. Imagine you failed out of high school and now someone is giving you the chance to tell your teachers why. Imagine you failed out of high school and now someone is giving you the chance to tell your teachers what they could have done differently in order to help you or why they failed you of what they need to change. 

I’m reading in the first edition of A Writer Teaches Writing and one important thought that comes to me: whereas Elbow’s book is decidedly not for teachers, called, in fact, Writing Without Teachers, Murray’s book is only partly about writing. It’s mostly about teaching writing and this is an important difference. It is intended for TEACHERS who want to better understand how to TEACH writing, not just for writers who want to better understand how writing works. Later, he would write Write to Learnand The Craft of Revision, books that focused more on the process of writing. But in A Writer Teaches Writing, Murray’s audience is teachers and he’s speaking directly to them. This is important and interesting. Sure, he maps out a process of how writing works, this is in his chapter “The Writer’s Seven Skills” and then again in the chapter “The Experience of Writing” where he returns to those seven things and applies them to students. But the book is subtitled A Practical Method of Teaching Compositionfor a reason—it’s aimed at teachers of writing, English teachers. They are the people to whom Murray most wishes to speak. Elbow wants to teach writers how to write, Murray wants to teach writing teachers how to better teach writers to write. Elbow has his eye on the teacherless writing class, but Murray doesn’t want to take the teacher out, he just wants to tell the teacher what she’s doing wrong and what she should be doing, instead.

And what does he want to say? 

Murray spent a good deal of his life trying to wrap his around around what was in that little black box of the writing process. In the early days and really throughout his career, he was focused on a process, getting to the bottom of it. It seems that near the end of his life he was coming to accept that the process is fluid and situationally dependent. Somewhere he broke out the two or three of four different models he worked through over his career, models of the writing process. In WTW he proposes a first model and it consists of seven skills or steps. But that’s not what really interests me about the book. I am far more interested in it as the act of a person for whom school did not work taking the chance to speak back to those who are in charge. That’s interesting. And what does Murray have to say?

It’s notable that Murray begins chapter 2, “The Writing Teacher’s Seven Skills” with a section called “He Listens” (I should go back and reread to see how many times he says this, uses the word “listen” in this chapter). This ties into a point I made in a previous chapter about how Murray’s childhood seemed to add up to NOT being listened to (i.e. children should be seen and not heard). He establishes a number of important or even foundational tenets in this chapter that he’ll return to throughout his career. I’m struck by the idea that he was doing research for this book for 38 years, first as a student for whom the educational system did not work and second as a practicing writer who had gleaned considerable practical knowledge about how the process of writing works. What are the tenets?

·     The teacher of writing, first of all, must be a person for whom the student wants to write. (16)
·     The content of a writing course belongs to the student, not to the teacher. Or: The most important text in the writing course is the student’s own drafts.  (16)

I’m struck by Murray’s idea that student writing should be the primary text of the writing class. I think this grows out of his sense that in ENGL 401 at UNH, as he experienced it and as he initially taught it, the most important writing of the class was the rhetoric that they were using or, perhaps, although I’m not sure he talks about this, the second semester class was writing about literature. He may have been right about this. It was a textbook driven, coverage-based kind of class with a final exam, even. I can see how he may feel that that course did not put student writing at its center.

·     Writers, regardless of age or level, face the same problems. (16)

These are not rules, they are statements of art and craft by writers and others who can bring an insight to the craft of writing—simply that. They are generally by literary writers, for those are the men and women who have dedicated their lives to writing. In one sense they are no more writers than the person who produces a business letter, a scholarly article, a legal brief or an engineering report, but these are the people who can do all kinds of writing. If you can write a sonnet you can write an advertisement; if you can produce a novel you can produce a company report. (WTW, 1sted. P. 231)

Note, for example, that in his essay “Dominant Impression” in Exercise Exchange he says that the “Level” for the exercise is “General.” In other words, he didn’t see this article as aimed at any particular age group. 

·     The teaching of writing can be taught. (as opposed to the liberal culture tradition)
·     The teacher must also write.
·     Democratizing Writing: There is a writing process that can be taught and learned by students at virtually all levels and can be applied across written genres.


Other things I am noticing

·     His use of sources, including Quintilian!
·     How he says some things, esp in ch. One, that he’ll later change (i.e. make outlines, know what you want to say, etc.)
·     The people he thanks, including James Sullivan. I think it’s not insignificant that the UNH English department was soul-searching about Freshman English at the same time that Murray was drafting this book…



Imagine yourself in Donald Murray’s shoes in the summer of 1963 as you ride the train back and forth from New York City to Durham, New Hampshire, contemplating the enormity of the transition on which you are embarking. You are 38 years old, married for the second time, the breadwinner and provider for a wife, three daughters, a mother-in-law, and parents who often need assistance. It has been almost ten years since you won the Pulitzer Prize for editorial writing at the age of 29, the youngest person ever to win a Pulitzer. It has been seven years since your rising star was derailed when Timemagazine tried to make you a television producer and you refused and were fired. It’s been seven years since you set out on your own, writing freelance magazine articles for some of the most famous periodicals of the mid-twentieth century, eating what you kill. You’ve succeeded in paying the bills by writing. You’ve sold dozens, hundreds, of stories, written three books and, recently, published your first novel, with a second to appear next year. 

But the life of the hunter is exhausting and it doesn’t provide health benefits or a retirement account and so when your old professor Sylvester Bingham called last fall to ask if you would be interested in a teaching job at your alma mater, the University of New Hampshire, you jumped at the opportunity, despite the considerable drop in pay such work would entail. You have not seen Dr. Bingham or any of your old professors since you left UNH in 1948 and you were surprised to learn, during your campus visit in the spring, that with the exception of Dr. Carroll Towle, who passed away last year, the department is still largely in-tact, still largely as you knew it, with a few new names and faces here and there. 

You can’t help but marvel at the extent to which you are unprepared for the task ahead: you have very limited teaching experienced, having taught only briefly at Boston University years ago. You have never taken an education class. You are not a part of a professional community of journalists, English professors, or teachers of writing. You have no Ph.D. What you have is the practical knowledge of the working writer and the writer’s education you’ve gleaned over many years, reading and collecting the words of published writers on their craft. And yet, you’ve now been entrusted with four classes of university students. A class of Freshman English, two sections of journalism students, and a section of pre-service teachers. The irony of this last development washes over you almost daily: the high school drop-out will teach the future-teachers.

These are the things you think about as you ride the train north to Durham every few weeks, watching outside the window as city turns to town and town turns to country. And you think about looking for a place for your family to live, investigating the local public schools, trying to track down books with which to teach, setting up your office, locating your classrooms. You are 38 years old and you never imagined that you would be making a transition of this enormity at this late stage of your life. But then you never imagined you’d win a Pulitzer Prize or survive combat during World War II. Your life has been full of surprises. 
Description: Macintosh HD:Users:Mike:Desktop:Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 4.55.12 PM.png

Also, check out letter to James Monahan, 9/7/64; in folder: Basic Life Chronology. Murray was dreaming up plans to travel the country and do reporting…shows how he was really not tuned in to the guru role that was coming…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.