Monday, January 20, 2020

Freewrite on Book Organization

So, I've been stuck for some time on the book's organizational structure. There are two that I could follow:

1. Chronological

With this structure, I would like preserve the existent "Influences" chapter that focuses on Murray's childhood struggles at home and in school and also UNH's influence on him; this would precede these three primary data chapters:

  • Getting Started: 1963-1968 or so (i.e. start of professor gig until full transformation and publication of first book)
  • Gaining Ground, Reach, Reputation: 1968-1976 or so (from local NE guru to national figure in emergent field)
  • Consolidation and Fulfillment: 1976-1985 or so (don't yet know what this story is...but likely something leading up to establishment of Ph.D. programs in Reading and Writing (1982) and Composition (1985)--source)

Or, more boringly:

1963-1970
1970-1980
1980-1987

If organized this way, I would identify a series of thread/themes/strands that I would trace through time and add new ones to chapters where needed. What would the threads/themes/strands be? I don't know yet...

2. Thematic

With this structure, there would be one chapter that would come before this one that would focus only on Murray's childhood and struggles in and out of school. The current material that I have in the already-drafted chapter about UNH and its influence on him would be likely shifted to the chapter "Institution" below.

  • Course: A New Kind of Writing Course, for Everyone (English 401 and 501 but also just what Murray meant by "a writing course" for all levels, elementary-college; this would also tap into the teaching of 401 at UNH before his arrival and the changes he advocated for)
  • Institution: Extending/Building a Culture of Writing, at UNH (this would need to focus on changes in the department as writing and its teaching came to occupy an increased place in the English Department and at UNH, generally...the story of how they went from writing courses not being counted for credit to the "national reputation" and ultimately doctoral programs; this would also trace back to Epochs 1 and 2 and show longer trajectory and focus on transition from Epoch 2 (1946-1966) and Epoch 3 (1966-1985).
  • Theory: Theorizing about Writing and Its Teaching (Murray spent a lifetime trying to develop a theory of writing and then draw implications from this theory for pedagogy--what did this entail, how did his theorizing evolve over time, including his influence as a journalist/freelancer, etc.)
Plusses and minuses of each of these...need to think more about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.