1967-68
During the summer I completed a new draft of my book on teaching writing which I used at Bowdoin and Harvard, as well as tested in dozens of schools. During the fall and winter I completely rewrote the book. I also continued to work on the novel for which I have a contract with Simon and Schuster. (1967-68 Faculty Annual Report)
1969-70
Novel
Under Contract to Simon and Schuster, developed conceptually, but not close to publication. Hope for completion in 1971. (1969-70 Sabbatical Report)
1970-71
The most important professional activity for me during the year was that I began once more to write poetry. I think this act was more important to my professional development than any other, although I have received less public recognition for it. (1970-71 Faculty Annual Report)
1971-72
I wrote a number of poems, and had my first poems accepted for publication by The New York Times and Southern Poetry Review. (1971-72 Faculty Annual Report)
I decided to resign from the university this spring because of the lack of time I had to write, but was too busy on committees to look for another position. (1971-72 Faculty Annual Report)
If I am not able to write and teach I will leave the university. (1971-72 Faculty Annual Report)
1973-74
The Ghosting of Manton Blake, a novel, under contract to Simon and Schuster, is my principal writing project at the moment. Six chapters have been drafted as of March 21st, and I hope to finish a draft this summer. (1973-74 Faculty Annual Report, p. 2)—this is listed third under Professional and Scholarly Activities, behind his curriculum series (1) and Write to Know
1974-75
Since the last report I have written approximately 80,000 words on a draft of a novel. This draft has been reconsidered and largely abandoned, but it is an essential part of the novel in progress, which I have reconsidered and reorganized. (1974-75 Faculty Annual Report)
I have written a great deal of poetry this year, and feel I have made a considerable step forward. I am particularly satisfied with a series of seven inter-related poems which are the product of almost 200 drafts. I have completed 23 other poems this year, which are being submitted for publication. Six of my poems have been published this year as chapter headings in a children’s book. Three other poems have been accepted in two minor poetry journals. (1974-75 Faculty Annual Report)
1975-76
During the summer and year I have worked intermittently on a novel which will be my principal activity in the coming summer. (1975-76 Faculty Annual Report)
1977-78
1. To complete a book for which I have a contract and which I have delayed by serving as chairperson. (Application for Leave of Absence, June 20, 1977)
The trip to Holland was extremely valuable in that it cut me off from day-to-day contact with the university and with my personal pattern of life in Durham. The result was a major breakthrough on my novel. As a result of that time I have a firm outline for the entire work, and I should be able to fill in that outline during this academic year. Sabbatical Report, August 28, 1978 (See 1977-78 Faculty Annual Review)
1978-79
Publications for the Academic Year July 1, 1978-June 30 1979
Completed
Ghosting, a novel under contract to Simon and Schuster (1978-79 Faculty Annual Review)
Finished a complete revision of Ghosting, a novel under contract to Simon and Schuster
Began a new novel, Searching. (1979-80 Faculty Annual Review)
1980-81
No real mention, but mention of new journalism book
1981-82
Short Stories
“Drawing from Life” under consideration (1981-82 Faculty Annual Review)
1982-83
Ghosting. Further work on the novel under contract to Simon and Schuster.
I have four other book projects under way, three of them under consideration at publishers. (1982-83 Faculty Annual Review)
Ghosting, a novel under contract to Simon and Schuster, 4th and final draft to be delivered Spring 1983 (1982-83 Faculty Annual Review)
Also “Drawing from Life” is under consideration
My Military History of the 20th Century, a novel, 1984 (1982-83 Faculty Annual Review)
Also in 1982-83 he taught a sophomore level fiction writing class while on unpaid leave at Wyoming (see 1982-83 Faculty Annual Review)
1983-84
mentions poems published (3)
1984-85
I have continued to work on my novel.
1985-86
I have done several chapters on a collaborative mystery novel, and am continuing to work on another novel (Faculty Annual Report 1985-86)
1988
My Military History of the Twentieth Century, a novel, S&S, 5 chapters completed, 6th almost completed. (1988 Annual Review)
Also about poetry (1988 Annual Review)
1989
My Military History of the Twentieth Century, a novel, Simon and Schuster, 9 draft chapters completed. (1989 Review)
Also about poetry (1989 Review)
Goals for 1990
Books
PRIORITY: finish My Military History of the Twentieth Century (1989 Review)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.