Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Final Word on Murray Book (Hannah Starobin)

Hi Michael,

I am sorry it has taken me so long to write you about your book. I had a pretty serious car accident last November and multiple orthopedic surgeries. It has been a year of recovery, physical therapy, and healing. Fortunately, I am fine. 

Congratulations. I love the book and have enjoyed reading it. It has been fascinating to understand the arc of Dad's work and its impact on the field of composition. He talked about writing, teaching, university politics, and colleagues at the dinner table each night. So, it was all familiar to me, yet the context is informative. For example, my mother, who was friecely protective of dad had a love/hate relationship with Don Graves, and now I understand why. 

I am finishing a memoir I have written with Dad. It is a collection of his columns at the Globe about my family, aging, and writing. I have written responses to the columns with my memories, observations, and lessons learned. It is a conversation between father and daughter. In writing this, I realized there are so many questions I wish I could ask. Your book has answered some of those questions. 

Your book has provided insight into Dad's shift from freelancer to teaching and his passion for the writing process. We moved to NH when I was four and my parents had always talked about it as a desire for security and a predictable income. It was  wonderful to read about his excitement and commitment to writing and teaching. 

As the sole survivor of my family I am grateful for your enormous efforts to draw attention to Dad's work and legacy. Thank you.

Warmly,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.