Friday, February 19, 2010

Autobiography: Murray's Story

I had an absolutely terrible art teacher. I think that if I'd had a different teacher--I didn't know that people with our low income could go to museum school, as a classmate of mine did in Boston--I think if I'd had parents or a teacher more aware, I could have gone in that direction. (Writing on the Edge, 14.1, p. 10)

From the article, "All Writing is Autobiography": "John Hawkes has said, 'Fiction is an act of revenge.' I hope not, but I can not yet deny the importance of that element in my writing. Re- venge against family, revenge against the Army and war, revenge against school" (67). Note the last section...this ties in with the Murray as critical pedagogue trope I've been thinking about ever since reading Yagelski's book review, in which he connected Murray, Elbow, and Freire.

More from "All Writing is Autobiography":
Recently, Boynton/Cook/Heinemann published Shoptalk, a book I began in Junior High School that documents my almost lifelong fascination with how writing is made. I assume that many people in this audience are aware of my obsession with writing and my concern with teaching that began with my early discomfort in school that led to my dropping out and flunking out. My
academic writing is clearly autobiographical (68).
He dropped out? He flunked out? Which one was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.