- Box of Murray Boston Globe articles and other letters--definitely worth going through more carefully (from folks in VT)
- Box of Murray Teaching Evals (organized, not read, but skimmed)
- Box of UNH English miscellaneous
Murray's children, as of letter dated 11/13/2001:
Anne (computer graphics) and Karl Nestelberger (painter and artist)--Weymouth, MA
Hannah (social worker) and Michael Starobin (composer and orchestrator)--Mt. Kisco, NY
Impressions/Thoughts
While it was annoying to have most of the morning taken up with clerical/organizational work, so be it. I was able to organize the teaching evils into folders, which will make reading them, the next time I am here, much easier.
Impressions...I haven't read anything yet, but impressions: I have a very limited outline here of Don's teaching from 1975-1987. I need to find information from the years 1963-1975. I need to cross check with other sources to confirm his teaching schedule. I note that he taught mostly journalism courses--many, many sections of 621/622 and then an advanced nonfiction course 703/803. I note only one section of 501 and one 401 (honors) during this period. A few graduate courses in the teaching of writing. Perspectives I'd like to investigate more next time:
- Non-majors
- First-year students
- journalism students
- Graduate students
It's all here. I should be able to get a pretty good sense of the picture. I feel like there's two kinds of reading I'm trying to do:
- representative reading--reading a bit from each of the categories to get a sense of how he was received by the different kinds of students with whom he worked
- insights, revelations, profundities--the things, random things, that students say which bring him as a teacher to life.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.