It occurs to me that there are two sources to consider in
framing out the section on my doctoral education…the list below from Beaufort
and/or the book A Guide To Composition Pedagogies. The key point is this,
Beaufort writes:
Whatever the choice of aims for
academic writing courses, teachers and program directors, myself included, will
develop the best possible curricula for their particular goals if they are
clear with themselves, with colleagues, and with students about what those
overarching goals are.
It’s not so much that I wasn’t clear with myself about what
my overarching goals were, it’s that I didn’t know that I might choose other
goals. That other goals even existed. Be clear about your own goals is
important, but must be done within a larger context of understanding what’s
possible. So one important revelation was the realization that I might choose a
different set of goals, beyond the expressivist/process goal.
A second point that I think I want to make is that when I
realized that there were a wider range of goals possible, I began to want to
experiment with different goals, particularly the critical theory/cultural
studies goal/democratic goal. In large part, this desire was shaped by two
factors: 1) the fact that critical theory/cultural studies was “en vogue,”
during both periods of my graduate education, and since this vision seemed to
be of interest to the field, it became of interest to me, 2) larger political
and historial events of the early to mid-2000s (i.e. the Bush administration) prompted
me to feel a need to shift my pedagogy in a more politically engaged direction.
(It might be interesting, here, to take a detour that
illustrates this point: “Consideration of any proposal for new curricular
guidelines requires first examining whether there is agreement with intended
learning goals” (2-3)—I think I may have had a semester where I taught BOTH a
cultural studies textbook AND Murray’s Craft of Revision)
The third point, which I’ve already begun to develop in a
few blog posts, is that ultimately, I have come to the pragmatic goal as the
one that drives me and my work. Beaufort has left a genre approach off her
list, but I believe it fits nicely with the pragmatic approach or beside it)
(And here it might be interesting to go to another moment
when I tried to merge two different philosophies, during that Expository
Writing course and struggled to do so)
--
Even though courses may be designated as academic writing
courses, texts related to academic writing curricula reveal a range of underlying
values and assumptions driving the work (Berlin; Fulkerson):
- The expressivist goal,
facilitating self-expression, finding one’s voice, one’s personal truths;
- The critical
theory/cultural studies goal, facilitating critique of social hierarchies
and cultural
hegemonies;
- The democratic,
rhetorical goal, facilitating informed participation in civic issues;
- The pragmatic goal,
facilitating successful written expression in school and work contexts;
- The aesthetic goal,
facilitating an appreciation of the craft of writing and a love of
language;
- The process goal,
facilitating growth in managing writing tasks.
These goals, interwoven but often unstated in multiple
venues within the discourse community of Writing Studies (composition textbooks,
scholarly articles and presentations, awards, etc.), are based on values from
several sources: personal beliefs, institutional goals, and societal norms.
Consideration of any proposal for new curricular guidelines requires first
examining whether there is agreement with intended learning goals. (2-3)
An emphasis on one set of values and assumptions or another
about the goal(s) of academic writing classes leads to different research
agendas and different curricular emphases. (3)
Underlying values and assumptions about academic writing
courses influence outcomes. Furthermore, those statements of course goals on
our syllabi contain code words for our values and assumptions in teaching
writing. Students don’t know how to decode our language, so they are less than
fully equipped to understand the particular framework for a writing class and
the instructor’s biases.
In the introductions to both of my ethnographies I state the
problem I am seeking solutions to, namely, writing curricula that will prepare
students with the analytic skills and rhetorical skills to write clear,
convincing arguments, as well as give students knowledge of the fundamental
concepts necessary to be able to adapt, change, and add writing skills in new
contexts for writing. Lack of these skills and knowledge, witnessed in my ten
years in corporate communications with a technology company and in the data
from both ethnographies, drives my choice of goals for academic writing
classes. Although I value self-expression as a humanizing act, become almost
ecstatic when encountering creative, artistic written expression, and take
seriously the need for informed citizenry equipped with the critical thinking
and rhetorical skills to evaluate social needs, hegemonies, and policies, my
highest priority in academic courses is the pragmatic goal.
Whatever the choice of aims for academic writing courses,
teachers and program directors, myself included, will develop the best possible
curricula for their particular goals if they are clear with themselves, with
colleagues, and with students about what those overarching goals are.
Furthermore, transfer of learning goals need to merge with, interweave with any
skills-development or knowledge acquisition goals of a given curriculum. (3)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.