In the late summer of 1996, I traveled west to enroll at the
University of Iowa, to learn how to become a high school English teacher and to
further my education as a writer. These were the two identities I held most
strongly at this point in my life: pre-service teacher and writer. The first I shared
with others (if asked), the second I kept mostly to myself.
But during my two years at Iowa, my sense of self, and,
subsequently, my intentions and desires began to shift. As I traveled to my
first academic conferences, worked as Dr. Sunstein’s research assistant,
attended lectures by visiting scholars, read and began to experiment with
scholarly writing, taught first-year composition, and met and socialized with doctoral
students, I gained access to a side of higher education about which I had
previously known very little. I felt drawn to this new world. I was a serious
student and I sensed that graduate education, beyond the terminal Master of Arts
in Teaching (MAT) degree I had come to Iowa to pursue, was the ultimate
opportunity for rigorous academic study. I began to think I might make a good
professional student.
And yet my desire to pursue further education, to stay on,
say, for a doctorate, was complicated by my sense of myself as a member of the
UNH writing tribe, which, at this point, I associated primarily with teachers and
writers (the latter of the creative sort). These two identities, teacher and writer, seemed to conflict with this other identity I was beginning
to imagine for myself, scholar. I
associated the first two identities with practical matters, rooted in the real
world (which I perceived to be a good thing). I associated the identity of
scholar with abstraction and with theory (of which I was suspicious). Despite
the example of my mentor, Bonnie Sunstein, and of several other members of the UNH
writing tribe whom I was meeting on the pages of the books and journals I was
reading (and sometimes in person), I struggled to envision a way that I could
be all three things at once—teacher, writer, and scholar. I somehow couldn’t imagine that in becoming the latter
(scholar), I wouldn’t have to give up the former (teacher, writer).
These boundaries I was drawing up in my head shaped virtually
everything I did during my time at Iowa. As I fought to maintain allegiance to
my limited understanding of my UNH writing tribe identity, I simultaneously began
to tentatively give myself over to new more scholarly ways of being. This
process of negotiation manifested itself in conversations with friends, in the
classroom, and, perhaps most interestingly, on the page.
Writing researcher Roz Ivanic has actually looked into what
I’m trying to describe here. Ivanic studies the way writers construct and
negotiate identity during the act of writing. Her central thesis: writing is an act of identity. When we
write, Ivanic argues, we work to construct a vision of ourselves on the page, work
to be a certain kind of person, while
we simultaneously work to align ourselves with or distance ourselves from
different audiences (31). In the framework Ivanic has developed to analyze writing
and identity, there are three elements to consider. First, there is what she
calls the autobiographical self, which “is associated with a
writer's sense of their roots, of where they are coming from” (24-25). The
autobiographical self is the totality of the experiences a writer has had in
her life when she sits down to write, as well as her cumulative sense of who she
is as a person (i.e. a person who is committed to social justice, a person who
is a cut-throat deal-maker, a person who struggles with authority). We inevitably
bring our autobiographical selves to each act of writing, Ivanic claims.
Second, there is the discoursal
self, which is the “impression—often multiple, sometimes
contradictory—which [a writer] consciously or unconsciously convey[s] of
themself [sic] in a particular written text” (25). The discoursal self is the
person we are trying to be when we
write (e.g. a recent medical school grad trying to be a doctor, a college
student trying to be a member of her major, a job applicant trying to be the solicited
employee). The discoursal self is shaped by what Ivanic calls the “possibilities
for self-hood” in a writing situation, which is to say the social context. When
constructing a discoursal self, we write as the person the situation requires
us to be.
Finally, there is the self-as-author,
which refers to the extent to which, in a given situation, a writer feels “enough
of a sense of self-worth to write with authority, to establish an authorial
presence” (26). The authorial self, Ivanic asserts, is shaped almost entirely
by a writer’s sense of confidence in her ability to successfully navigate a
given writing situation (i.e. a student writing an essay about a book she
hasn’t read vs. a student writing a personal essay about her own life, a job
applicant who is not really qualified for the position she is applying for vs.
an applicant who is over-qualified, a manager who has worked in an industry for
twenty years vs. one who has just promoted to her first management position). For
Ivanic, one’s sense of self-as-author is shaped by the degree of experience and
self-assuredness one brings to a specific writing task. When one’s
autobiographical self meshes well with the discoursal self that a writing
situation requires of her, the writer will build a sense of self-as-author that
is convincing and persuasive. Often, though, as Ivanic points out, this is not
the case—the person we feel we are
does not jive with the person we are asked to be on the page. From the perspective of the writer, this is when
writing becomes a challenge. From the perspective of the researcher, as we will
see below, this is when writing becomes interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.