Mike,
I thought you would be interested in Margaret's ideas here. It removes some of the heavier college audience essays--and would require from me an intro short essay. At first glance I would push for a few more essays, or even different titles. But this gets me thinking.
Tom
Tom,
Your title “Looking for Trouble” is inspired! Maybe the subtitle instead of “Essays on” becomes “Fighting for Literacy, Freedom, and Play”?
Freewrite first, then essay, then provocation?
Length: I thought 12 essays was a good number
OPTION 1:
Against Limiting Curriculum:
[Talk about the chronic push and pull tension that creates limits in ed]
Slow Reading: An Antidote to a Culture of Distraction
How We Really Comprehend Nonfiction
A Mania for Rubrics
Speaking Out on Competency Based Education
The Middle Class and the Problems of Pleasure
[Questions We Ask Ourselves to Recognize and Challenge Limits or maybe a piece about recognizing the “product” this curriculum is making, picking up on your adjectives of mania, distraction, etc]
For Children’s Real Selves:
[Give some overview of who we want our children to be versus who they are]
Misreading Masculinity
The Revolt Against Realism
Narrative as Remix: Children’s Appropriation of Pop Culture
[Questions We Ask Ourselves to Create Space for Children’s Real Selves]
For Teachers’ Authority as Creative Intellectuals:
[how claiming your identity as a creative intellectual has been ongoing work, with still and active periods]
Silences in Our Teaching Stories (has teacher action suggestions)
Stress, Control, Deprofessionalization
Teachers: Know When to Stop Talking
The Virtue of Thinking Small: Reclaiming Teacher Research (has teacher action suggestions)
[I think you introduce the free writes here, maybe? It becomes an essay with a list of possibilities. I can imagine the essay as an invitation for the reader to pick up wrting where you’ve left off.]
OPTION 2
Reading to Discover Ourselves & Our Curriculum
Reading as Wedding Crashing
Slow Reading
How We Really Comprehend Nonfiction
Where We Get Stuck
Misreading Masculinity
The Revolt Against Realism
Why Students Find Writing to Be Torture
Teachers: Know When to Stop Talking
Learning From What Children Love
The Revolt Against Realism
Narrative as Remix: Children’s Appropriation of Pop Culture
Writing to Discover Ourselves & Our Curriculum
Silences in Our Teaching Stories
The Virtue of Thinking Small
[I think you introduce the free writes here, maybe? It becomes an essay with a list of possibilities. I can imagine the essay as an invitation for the reader to pick up wrting where you’ve left off.]
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.