Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Notes for Rich Conversation

Notes for Rich Conversation

  1. Introduction: Does there need to be some kind of introduction BEFORE the chapter called “What We Talk About When We Talk About Donald Murray?” Something more general, higher level? 

Product/Process/Post-Process—grad students may not know about this entire conversation, students have to know there is a history (think of Lad Tobin’s passage about the “dark ages”). Situate Murray within product/process/post-process more generally…

  1. Look at the data chapter on his work with NESDEC and the way the chapter begins—that’s not how I want it to begin, must it?

  1. The autobiographical chapter—thinking of just having that one chapter, donald murray’s literacy narrative and work the UNH stuff in later. 

  1. Reviewer 2: Get more of the specific critiques that emerged about Donald Murray laid out… Also: “I don’t think you can count on people to understand the history of the reception of Don Murray’s work.)”

Maybe look into critiques of expressivism, not necessarily Murray, Murray was associated with it…Elbow and Bartholmae


  1. Help interpreting this comment:

the author may want to go back and see if all the details of Murray’s early collaborations with teachers need to be told.  Also, as much as I love archival research, I’m not sure that I and other readers need to know the meandering history of the Murray archives, which feels like the story of the researcher (trying to get access to things), and not so much the story of Murray’s influence on the teaching of writing. 


NCTE/CCCC programs Traci Gardner or Rich Haswell—do these exist as PDFs?

“If Murray had been started today he would be in the activist and social justice camp” WOW

Final Chapter as meeting the needs of a different audience…

Murray’s work has become institution so there’s almost no point in citing him (Murray IS Composition)—this emerged from our conversation about Murray and Threshold Concepts

Conclusion Chapter (Where are we now…): The value of Murray if Murray were today. “I don’t think…”


Post-POST Process: Jeff Rice, Jeff Smits

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.