There are some people, writers included, who do not think that the testimony of writers should be taken seriously. They believe that the artist works dumbly, not knowing what he is doing. I believe that the artist is first of all a craftsperson and knows a great deal of what is being done during the act of writing. I think that a careful study of how writers write reveals significant information. Is it the whole story? Of course not. No form of research into the writing process provides the whole story. But the evidence we gather from those who write should be a part of our scholarly resource. (252)
I find this interesting, particularly the part about "is it the whole story? Of course not" because in some ways this is the opposite of what he was saying in the first book, which was premised on the idea that the testimony of writers should be taken seriously, very seriously.
Other observations so far while looking at the framing apparatus of the book in the beginning and end:
- it does feel like Murray has a different audience in mind, a more college composition instructor audience, whereas his audience for the first book was clearly high school English teachers (look at his acknowledgements, for example), also look at statements like "And composition teachers should put the same demands on themselves" (249). See p. 237 where he writes about dealing with college faculty who complain about student writing
- He's referring to national organizations and his engagement with them in WTW2 (251-53)
- Getting to the bottom of larger, philosophical issues, like why do we teach writing, what ends does it serve? Look at section in back of book, "Why Should I Teach Writing?": "It allows me to see human beings finding a way to express their own individuality." Now this is the kind of quote that would have irked someone like Berlin, but can I somehow situation this rationale within a larger vision of liberal or humanistic education, either through Murray's work or through other kinds of sources? Can I say, essentially, Murray's goals here align with larger goals of democratic, liberal education as articulated by... (does Giroux say anything about this? Hooks? Shor?) More on individuality: "Do not minimize the importance of our calling. We have a vocation, and it is to help our students discover, develop and share their individuality. It makes a difference when a person finds he or she can speak, and it makes a difference to others when they speak" (246) and he goes on, but I find this a bit less compelling, "Writing is a way of understanding our world and breaking out of our anonymity and isolation by sharing our diverse understandings" (246)
- It strikes me, the contrast in what Murray is advocating for and what Berlin and others would be arguing for--Murray says "I can only continue to experiment with ways of creating an environment in which I can get out of the way of my students and watch--applauding--as they teach themselves the craft none of us can ever learn" (245). He evacuates the teacher or has the students lead. Berlin, on the other hand, is advocating for the teacher to play a more central role in guiding students towards...what, realization of false consciousness? Connect here to Durst?
- Diversity continues to be a theme: "Each class will be composed of individuals whose diversity will be a challenge and a delight. The satisfactions of teaching will come as you confront and confirm that diversity" (245-46)
- powerful connection to his own life and story of struggle and failure p. 246-47
- Can Writing Be Taught? (yes) he returns to this central question, although not in the same way, in WTW2 (p. 238)
- purpose of writing: "using language to discover their own meaning" (239)
- One process or many? (p. 240)
- Take a look at "How Does Personal Writing Help Students Write Academic Prose" (238)
- Murray views first-year comp, Freshman English, basic composition, whatever, as a central element of a college education--ties into point above about democratic or liberal education, "Students that are exempt [from freshman comp] are cheated of a fundamental intellectual experience, central to a college education. There is no one, present company included, who could not benefit from taking a course in basic composition" (241).
Quotes I Love
- This is a practical little manual by a person who is fascinated with all the little details of writing and teaching writing, as well as the grand questions of composition theory and pedagogy (xiv)--I mostly love the first half of this sentence, but have included the second half just in case I see something in it later that I might need
- I have never met another person who is more thin-skinned than I am. (237)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.